Who doesn’t like a South American Grill? Those guys really are the experts aren’t they? We used to go to an Argentinian grill in San Juan, Puerto Rico and had some fabulous food every time!! We took my parents there and they loved the experience, so we recreated it for them back in England! Another place I loved was a Brazilian grill in Brockton near Boston MA!! It was in a random row of stores but really had it nailed!! These recipes will bring the grill to your back yard, but you need to start the day before with the marinating!!
I am going to put the wine note with each course. It is really worth making sure you have the wines for every course!!
Grilled Chorizo With Salsa
-We used the left over salsa on grilled chicken breasts, which kept the joy going 🙂
I made sourdough rolls for this and piled ’em high!!!!
4 large plum tomatoes
2 medium onions
2 tbsp minced cilantro
1 garlic clove
1 jalapeno seeded & finely chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
12 crusty rolls split
Extra virgin oil for brushing
6 chorizos (1 ¼ lbs)
- Finely chop the tomatoes, garlic & onions & mix in a bowl with cilantro, jalapeno & lemon juice. Season.
- Light the grill. Grill the chorizos until browned apporx 20 mins. Let cool slightly. Brush the rolls or bread slices with the olive oil & toast. Cut the chorizos on the diagonal into 12 thin slices. Top each roll or slice of bread with 3 slices of chorizo & 1 tbsp of salsa & serve
WINE NOTE: From Aldi, we searched for a Chilean Malbec but this one worked really well!!
3 bottles of full bodied wine, eg Chilean Merlot or Shiraz
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup apple cider vinegar
8 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
3 tbsp cracked coriander seeds
12 cracked peppercorns
1 tbsp oregano
5-6 lbs skirt steak or three 2 lb sirloin steaks, cut 1 ½ inch thick
12 pork loin chops
- In a large bowl, combine wine, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, coriander, peppercorns & oregano. Put the steaks & chops into 2 deep dishes & add half the marinade to each. Cover the dishes & place in the refrigerator preferably overnight, or 4-8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Light the grill. When moderately hot, drain the marinade & add the steaks & chops to the grill in batches Grill the chops 7-8 mins each side until cooked through. Grill the steaks medium rare, skirt 2 ½ mins each side, or sirloin 12 mins each side.
(For all 3 recipes, we cut to a third of the ingredients & still had too much for 4)
Avocado & Celery Salad
As a Chelsea fan, my husband loves to sing a song about celery. He will burst into song at any mention of celery, so I have to discreetly grab it in the market & sneak it into the cart and run, or run the gauntlet of everyone staring!!
¼ cup & 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 small garlic cloves
6 heads of Bibb lettuce- leaves separated
6 celery ribs, peeled & thinly sliced on the diagonal
4 avocados cut into ¼ inch wedges
2 medium red bell peppers cut into thin sticks
- Shake up or whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic & seasoning.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce with half the dressing. Add the celery, avocados, peppers & remaining dressing & toss to coat. Serve immediately, or prepare the salad and refrigerate, then add the dressing when ready to serve.