Every Christmas Eve, I prepare beef burgundy in the crockpot. It’s a festive dish and is easy to prepare, allowing me to move onto other cooing projects and then join in with celebrations, returning home to this comforting food, a glass of Pinot noir, and a blazing fire. Guests always enjoy this and it’s a great main course for a winter dinner party.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
WINE NOTE: Get the best French Pinot Noir that you can for this, to keep it wonderfully traditional and luxurious.
3/4 cup/95g all-purpose flour (plain)
2 1/2 lbs / 1Kg beef stew meat cut into 1 1/2″ cubes
3 tbsp. vegetable or grapeseed oil
2 cups / 500ml full bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir
2 cloves of garlic
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
20 baby white onions
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 lb / 450g button mushrooms halved
Large handful chopped fresh thyme to garnish
- Place flour in a Ziploc bag add meat several pieces at a time & shake to coat.
- Heat a large heavy-based skillet & add 2 tbsp. of oil. Brown meat in batches, turning for 8-10 mins then place in a crockpot.
- Add wine to skillet & deglaze over medium-high heat. Cook stirring frequently for 10 mins until sauce begins to thicken. Add the garlic, thyme sprigs & bay. Pour over the beef in the crockpot. Cover & cook for 6-8 hours.
- While the beef cooks, peel & trim the onions. Heat a sauté pan & add the final tbsp. of oil. Sauté the onions for 10 mins until browned then add to the crockpot 1 hour before serving.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the butter. Add the mushrooms & sauté for 5 mins or until lightly browned. Add to the crockpot 30 mins before serving. Remove the thyme sprigs & bay leaves. Transfer the meat to a large serving dish & garnish with the chopped thyme & serve immediately with new potatoes.
CHEERS! ENJOY! Follow my page on Facebook!